Thursday, April 26, 2012

because this is who i am

mas budi asked me the other day, "how do you do it?"

the question caught me off-guard.  i looked at him and said, "do what?"

"writing, i see you doing it, every time we were given a task to write something, you just did.  you rarely stop and think, you just dived in and write.  how do you do that?"

like i said, the question caught me off-guard.  i'm pretty sure mas budi meant that as a compliment.  and this lady is not good with compliments, they're like my kryptonite.  so i told him, "because i love to do it."

it's partly true.  the other part i was supposed to say is that because i am a writer.  i was born to be one, and am one right now.  true i haven't had any book publish, and my writing is mediocre compared to many (and you should see my dad's, things he could do with words!!) i write not because i have to, i write because i love to.

i always wanted to be a writer when i grow up.  seriously, go back to 7-year-old me and she would say that she wanted to become a writer and a poet when she grow up.  weird huh? well, there's nothing normal about me :p

i'm not saying that i'm always bright and witty and up and running when it comes to writing.  like any normal human beings i do get writer's block.  and i hated that.  usually when i think too much into the writing i started to develop that.  and i'm not saying i'm perfected the craft.  there still tons of things i need to improve in my writing.  but i write because i love it.

that is partly why i kinda hate my writing class right now, because they do not teach me the art of writing. they're teaching me the techniques, i always detest techniques.  for me techniques have no heart, it's empty, it is solid, but it's like frozen food.  all the element is there, but you would still much prefer a home-cooked meal right.  why?  because it has heart, it has human touch.

i understand why they teach me the techniques but not the art though, but i kinda wish the person who is teaching it love writing as much as i do.  not just how to do it right, but how to write with passion.

ow well... this entry is nowhere in the technical side at all... what i want to say is that i'm a writer, i believe i was born to be one, and no matter what i do for a living, i will always be a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment